A Housing Authority administers the rent subsidy payments and housing assistance programs for both eligible landlords and tenants. Housing Authorities in existence prior to July 1, 1990 may choose to be governed by Articles of Organization that are filed with the Secretary of State. A Housing Authority created after July 1, 1990 cannot transact business or exercise powers until it submits proper Articles of Organization to the Secretary of State and receives a Certificate of Approval.
If Articles of Organization filed with the Secretary of State comply with the law, a Certificate of Approval for the Articles of Organization is issued to the Housing Authority.
If a Housing Authority wishes to amend and restate its Articles of Organization, it must submit a copy of its Articles of Amendment or Restatement to the Secretary of State. The Secretary of State will issue a Certificate of Approval if the Articles of Amendment or Restatement comply with the law.
The Secretary of State issues certified copies of a Housing Authority’s Articles of Organization and any amendments upon request.
The following is a list of Housing Authorities that have filed with the Secretary of State:
- Housing Authority of Allegany County
- Housing Authority of the City of Cumberland
- Housing Authority of the City of Frostburg
- Housing Authority of the City of Annapolis
- Anne Arundel County Housing Authority
- Housing Authority of Baltimore City
- Housing Authority of Calvert County
- Elkton Housing Authority
- Housing Commission of Charles County
- Housing Authority of the City of Frederick
- City of Havre de Grace Housing Authority
- Howard County Housing Commission
- Rockville Housing Enterprises
- Housing Opportunities Commission of Montgomery County
- Housing Authority of the City of College Park
- Glenarden Housing Authority
- Housing Authority of Prince George’s County
- Queen Anne’s County Public Housing Authority
- Housing Authority of Crisfield
- St. Mary’s County Housing Authority
- Housing Authority of Easton
- Saint Michaels Housing Authority
- Housing Authority of the City of Hagerstown
- Housing Authority of Washington County
- Wicomico County Housing Authority
The law regarding Housing Authorities can be found in the Annotated Code of Maryland, Housing and Community Development Article, Titles 12-23.