Enforcement - How to Make a Complaint

​​The Federal Trade Commission, along with law enforcement officials and charity regulators from 70 offices in every state, the District of Columbia, American Samoa, Guam, and Puerto Rico announced more than 100 actions and a consumer education initiative in “Operation Donate with Honor,” a crackdown on fraudulent charities that con consumers by falsely promising their donations will help veterans and service members. The Maryland Secretary of State and Office of the Attorney General have issued a joint press release about the matter.

Watch this video on how to stop veterans charity scams.

How to Make a Complaint:

If you are concerned about a charitable organization that may be violating solicitation law in the State of Maryland, you can report them to the Secretary of State. In order to file a complaint, please send a written summary of the problem along with any supporting documentation that you may have.

If you were solicited by phone or in-person, a summary of the interaction between you and the person requesting the donation is needed.

If you received a written solicitation, please send a copy of it to our office when making the complaint.

Please provide your name, address, phone number, and an email address with your complaint.

You can send a written complaint by mail or email:

  1. Email complaint. Send the complaint via email to DLInvestigations_SOS@maryland.gov
  2. Mail complaint. Mail the complaint Secretary of State, Attn: Investigator, State House, Annapolis, MD 21401.